Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Making a Boy's Prince Edward hat Part 1

My current project is a Prince Edward style boy's hat like the one propped up on the book in this 1865 CDV. (Please note: I saved this image off of Ebay, if you are the owner of this image and would like it removed from public view, please let me know and I will do so as soon as possible.) This style straw hat, with a leather brim was a popular one for boys during the mid-19th century and can be seen in many CDV's and fashion plates of the time. I got the inspiration for this project from a very talented lady over at The Sewing Academy. I'm documenting it, because I think its a nifty little project, and I hope you will too!

I began with a $3 straw hat from a thrift store that had been crushed. I pulled off all the ribbons and hot glue (don't get me wrong, I love hot glue, it just doesn't belong on historic reproductions :) and I cut off the brim. Then I reblocked the hat on a casserole bowl using hot water and craft glue, leaving it to dry around the bowl. After it was blocked into the right shape, I trimmed the crown to 2 1/2 inches.


Next, I am hand sewing a brown cotton twill tape over the raw straw edges.

I cut crescent moon shapes out of a brown leather, and as soon as I can get to the craft store for leather glue, I will be in business building the brim. Pictures of that process to follow in part 2!

3 comments:

Mrs. G said...

Wow, what a great idea! I never even thought about actually recreating one of these. Thanks for the tutorial!

Paris

Lauren said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out :-D

Sarah Jane said...

I will be following your progress very eagerly! So far it looks wonderful!