Friday, January 9, 2009

Skirts & Ballet Shoes













I have been plugging away at the Men's dress shirt and dutifully hand-felling all the seams (which always takes me forever), so the progress has been slow going. I've also been trying to get our family back into a regular routine - made all the more difficult by the crazy flooding we've been having!!

Over the past weekend we watched the delightful movie "Ballet Shoes" which is an adaptation of one of my favorite novels as a child by Noel Streatfeild. The movie is set in 1930s England and the clothing is gorgeous! The skirts in particular are transferable to today's fashions and I love the sense of economy and thrift employed by the characters in their clothing choices. Something many of us could benefit from today as well!












Its very difficult to find screencaps of skirts in a film, since most tend to be of the actors faces, but these shots give you a sense of the styles in the film. Since I am needing some new wool skirts (or any wool skirts at all :) I'm going to try this pattern from the 1930s. And though it is hard to tell from these stills, I'm confident the view on the right is the same skirt style Emma Watson wears in the film. I have some lovely brown wool from the Denver Fabrics clearance and if all goes well, I may try View A in a light gray wool. It is too much fun finding inspiration in new places!

2 comments:

MissNonaEleanor said...

Oh, I just love 30's fashions! I've never heard if that movie, I shall check it out!

Me said...

Ditto on checking the movie AND the clothes out!