Monday, October 20, 2008

Halloweenie Preparations!

I've been tagged to do another survey type thing, but since I just did one, I'm going to do a couple other posts first. "Halloweenie" is my term for Halloween celebrations for little ones. And boy do we have a lot in the next couple weeks! We have parties and potlucks and decorating! To top it all off, I have again become a work widow as this is the season that Hubby works 60-80 hour weeks. Yup, the holidays are upon us!! If you don't hear from me, it is probably because I am in the kitchen baking (or wrestling with the boys :)!
One of my favorite memories with my Mom is decorating lots of cookies. This, in combination with the fact that Bryce mentioned I didn't really do enough baking to suit him last year, means I will be doing TONS this year. I may even have to temporarily abandon my sewing projects, but I don't know if I can bring myself to go that far!!

Last night Noah and I rolled out the Butter cookie dough and cut Halloween shapes (Nate has croup, so it was early to bed for him
:( ). Then this morning we decorated them using Royal icing and Wilton cake decorating sprinkles. I altered the icing recipe a little by adding a few drops of Glycerine which helps prevent the icing from turning into cement within a few minutes. I also added 2 teaspoons of almond extract which gives it a fantastic flavor!

The kiddos had a good time (as you can see from Mr. Cookie breath over there), although I did all the decorating and they did all the eating! But they are still young and I hope they will just remember that it is fun to spend time with Mommy.

Lastly, I have been making party favors for the Moms Club Halloween Party. These little "ghosts" or "pumpkin heads" are made by wrapping a pinked square of Halloween fabric around a lollipop and tying it tight with yarn. I painted faces on with puffy paint and voila! A cute favor for our celebration! Hope your preparations are equally delicious!

No comments: