Thursday, January 21, 2010

The trim!

I've been pondering trim options, colored cotton lace like that on the original being out, and settled on this version. It is strips of bias fabric, fringed and double box pleated, and then tacked up in the center. The 1850s were all about fringe and frou-frou and while I do feel slightly like a cupcake, it generally suits my girly side just fine.



A sneak peek of the dress...and that's all you'll get to see until after our dinner this weekend!

Edited to add:
Interesting research tidbit - I talked with the owner of the original dress, and she said that the trim was added on the sleeve to cover the sleeve hemming which was done on the right side of the fabric. The original dress was really quite poorly constructed by modern terms (skirt plaids not matching at all, sleeve hemming on the outside). So while I don't have the same need for disguise, trimming is one of my favorite aspects of design and I can't imagine not augmenting in some way!

4 comments:

Amy said...

ooh i love that!!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

That's the PERFECT trim! Gorgeous!

Lauren said...

It's looking lovely!!!

Melissa said...

Oooo I can't wait to see it at Burns!