Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Homeschooling & Abeka

The days have been getting shorter, the nights seem colder, and my thoughts are turning to the start of the school year. Granted, my kids are not old enough to really, truly start school, but we will be beginning preschool in a few weeks.

Last year's preschool did not work out. They were pushing Noah a little too hard academically to memorize facts and sit still for long circle times (at age 3!) and he was just too active for that format. I have considered homeschooling, but I am still unsure of that idea too. For now, we have compromised on a cooperative preschool that I attend with him 2-3 times per month. The school is completely play-based, they play outside for at least 25 minutes per day, and no circle time is longer than 10 minutes. I am hopeful that it will be a better fit.

I'm still pondering what I can do at home with him. My mom once said that she wanted the joy of teaching me to read herself and seeing how that opened up my world. I agree. I would love to share in teaching the boys to read, so I am looking for some kind of curriculum. I'm thinking about the Abeka books because it looks like they have a very strong phonics program and I think I can break it down as slowly as I want. Although, I'd like to go to a display or convention to be sure before I invest that kind of money. Making the best choices for educating your children can be so difficult sometimes!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This is something I've been thinking about as well, even though my little guys are a bit younger than yours. Have you looked at the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons curriculem? My mom used that for my two little sisters and I often went over their lessons with them. It worked very well for both of them and they are both avid readers now. My mom used Abeka for me and my brothers although I assume the curriculem might have changed a bit since 'our time'.

lissawi said...

Ooh! I haven't heard of that one! I will have to check it out. Thanks!

Vicki said...

I have used ABeka with all of our children, along with the "Bob Books" and the Pathway Readers. ABeka worked best with my oldest daughter. It went a little too quickly for my oldest son who had a more difficult time learning to read. I am currently using them for my younger son, after reading through all the Bob Books.

jane said...

I recommend the read aloud handbook. Reading aloud creates a great family time and introduces kids to wonderful stories and the joy of reading in a non pressure setting.